FTX-238 - COME ALL YOU BOLD BRITONS
THE COPPER FAMILY - 1
An album full of unexpected riches & surprises:
the sound-track of a recent video-interview with Bob, accompanied
by the birdsong in his beautiful Sussex garden, 9 songs for
which he accompanies himself on an English concertina, some
solo unaccompanied, others with his cousin, Ron, and son,
John, and daughter, Jill. The value of this album lies as
much in the artistry of the Copper performances as in the
historical and social background which Bob weaves into his
1. Outdoor interview with Bob: he talks about
the periods of hard times on the farm at Rottingdean leading
into the song - 2'47"
2. THE HARD TIMES OF OLD ENGLAND - sung by Bob
3. Talk - the family tradition of two-part harmonising
4. THE SHEPHERD AND HIS BRIDE - Bob with conc
5. Talk - the farms, sheep-shearing gangs, fines
by mutual consent, White & Black Ram Nights - 7'18"
6. THE SHEEPSHEARING SONG (THE BLACK RAM) -
Bob & cousin, Ron - 3'13"
7. Talk - Bob's writings about a disappearing
way of life for his own family and a wider public - 1'47"
8. ADIEU, SWEET LOVELY NANCY - Bob & son,
John - 2'47"
9. ADMIRAL BENBOW - Bob with conc - 2'41"
10. THE MUMMER'S SONG (THE DYING BRITISH SOLDIER)
(Talk before about the last 1896 performance by the Rottingdean
Mummers) - Bob & John - 4'30"
11. LORD THOMAS AND FAIR ELEANOR - Bob with
conc - 7'38"
12. Talk - boyhood memories & 1941 Christmas
get-together - 1'58"
13. SOFTLY THE NIGHT (Shepherd's Carol) - Bob
& John - 2'45"
14. THE TURN OF THE YEAR (Christmas and New
Year Song) - Bob with conc - 3'12"
15. Talk - growth of public interest, visit
of Francis Collinson for "Country Magazine" programme on BBC
Radio - 4.03
16. THE LAWYER BOLD - Bob with conc - 1'46"
17. Talk - Festival Show at the Royal Albert
Hall, Alan Lomax & Television at Alexandra Palace with
David Attenborough - 0'49"
18. THE BRISK AND LIVELY (GLOUCESTER) LAD -
Bob & John - 3'45"
19. Talk - his own bungalow at Peacehaven -
20. COME ALL YOU BOLD BRITONS - Bob with conc
21. WOP-SHE-AD-IT-I-O - Bob with Ron & John
in chorus - 2.19"
22. THE WHITE COCKADE - Bob with conc - 2'49"
23. THE SUIT OF CORD-E-ROY - Bob with Ron &
John - 3'12"
24. THE HEIGHTS OF ALMA - Bob & John - 2'35"
Recorded 1963-1983. Edited by Peter Kennedy
and first published on Folktrax cassettes 1983.